With his focus firmly fixed on being at his best in time for the Olympics in Rio this summer, 2012 NCAA discus champion Chad Wright has been spending time with his old schoolmates and high school coach, hoping to be razor sharp this season.This is all part of his plan to achieve the Olympic qualifying standard of 65 metres before May, compete on the international circuit, and then make the top 12 in Rio.The 24-year-old senior at the University of Nebraska has been training with his former Calabar teammates Fredrick Dacres, Traves Smikle, and Basil Bingham and others since late December 2015.”I figured I had to train a different way this year. For most of last season, I had been training mostly by myself, and someone once told me that in order to become a lion, you have to train with them, so I figured I would train at least two months training down here with the lions,” said Wright, who has been taking his classes at Nebraska online in the meantime.While he was a student at Calabar, Wright was among a group of successful throwers who helped redefine how field events, more specifically the throws, were viewed by a sprint-crazy Jamaican fan base.NUMEROUSTITLESDuring that period, Dacres won the World Youth and World Junior titles in 2011 and 2012, respectively, while Smikle won a World Youth bronze medal in 2010.Wright, the 2009 CARIFTA champion, has been working under the watchful eye of his high school coach, Julian Robinson, and has said that the focus has been primarily on improving his technique.”It’s kind of like how you have to work out a better delivery system for water, so I am pretty much working on a better delivery system to translate my gym strength into throwing far,” said Wright, who is majoring in mathematics.He revealed that so far, the friendly rivalry between him and his former high school teammates has been bearing fruit.”It’s the constant competition every day, where you can’t afford for them to be beating you up because they are going to come the next day and they’re going to bring it up as soon as they see you, so you have to shut them up,” said the 2013 CAC discus champion.The five-time All-American was among three discus throwers who represented Jamaica at the World Championships in Beijing, China, last summer, a first for the country. He said getting to compete in China proved to be a great learning experience that he believes will help him get to Rio in August.”It was a lesson for me because I went into the meet not fully prepared because I never planned anything because I wasn’t sure I would make it,” he said. It is a mistake he does not intend to make again.Wright is scheduled to leave the island early next month.
DUBLIN (AP): Substitute Shane Long scored five minutes after coming on yesterday for Ireland to upset world champions Germany 1-0 and clinch at least a play-off place for Euro 2016. Long struck in the 70th minute of their qualifier when he took goalkeeper Darren Randolph’s long kick over the German defence and fired the ball past Manuel Neuer to the top corner. “He’s one of the best goalkeepers in the world, so it makes it even that bit more special,” Long said after Ireland’s first-ever competitive win over Germany. “It was an unexpected and unnecessary defeat,” Germany coach Joachim Loew said. “He’s won a World Cup. He’s entitled to his opinion, and we were brilliant,” Irish counterpart Martin O’Neill said. With one game in qualifying remaining, Germany top Group D on 19 points, one ahead of Poland and Ireland, who meet in Warsaw on Sunday. Robert Lewandowski scored his second goal deep in injury time for Poland to draw 2-2 with Scotland in Glasgow and end the home side’s hopes of a play-off. Because of their superior goal difference, a draw on Sunday would be enough for Poland to qualify directly, while Ireland needs to win to avoid the play-offs.
ST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC):Batsman Leon Johnson and left-arm pacer Sheldon Cottrell have both been handed retainer contracts by the West Indies Cricket Board, despite not featuring for the regional side over the last year.The pair are among a list of 15 players announced by the WICB late yesterday who have been retained for the period beginning last October 1 to September 30 later this year.Johnson, a 28-year-old left-hander, has been repeatedly overlooked in recent months despite the West Indies’ continued struggles at the top of the order.He averages nearly 40 in his four Tests and gathered scores of 54 and 44 in his last Test – against South Africa in Cape Town last January.Fellow Guyanese Rajindra Chandrika has been the preferred choice despite three noughts in six Test innings and an average of 14.Cottrell, meanwhile, has not suited up for West Indies since the one-day series in South Africa last January.The 26-year-old has struggled with injury this year and only recent resumed bowling when he turned out for Jamaica Scorpions in the Regional First Class Championship.He played the last of this two Tests in December, 2014, and has played two one-day internationals.Marlon Samuels has been also retained despite a torrid time with the bat in recent months. The Jamaican gathered 30 runs from four Test innings against Sri Lanka last October and managed only 35 runs in five outings against Australia in the just concluded three-Test series Down Under.Rookies Shai Hope and Shane Dowrich, who like Chandrika both made their Test debuts last year, are also among the 15 retained.RETAINED PLAYERS – Jason Holder, Kraigg Brathwaite, Rajendra Chandrika, Darren Bravo, Marlon Samuels, Denesh Ramdin, Devendra Bishoo, Shannon Gabriel, Jermaine Blackwood, Jerome Taylor, Sheldon Cottrell, Shai Hope, Shane Dowrich, Leon Johnson, Kemar Roach.
MANCHESTER, England (AP):When lecturing FIFA on ethics, English soccer leaders look like the moral arbiters of the game.It’s an attitude that gives the English Football Association little wiggle room when problems land on its own doorstep.So once the England team manager’s integrity was damaged by unguarded comments to undercover reporters about illegal transfer practises, while attempting to cash in on his prestigious job, Sam Allardyce’s position was untenable. Allardyce’s contract was terminated after 67 days and one game in charge.”If we are going to be opinionated on how people behave in football in England and internationally we have to live the high standards ourselves,” FA chairman Greg Clarke said. “A problem came. We dealt with it quickly.”But the problems aren’t going away. Far from it, with further allegations of wrongdoing emerging and pressure to act from the government.The latest installment of the Daily Telegraph investigation filmed an agent accusing 10 managers, which it did not name, of taking bribes linked to player transfers. Such corruption has long been suspected in England, which hosts the world’s richest domestic football competition in the Premier League.”The vast number of Premier League transfers, loans and contract re-negotiations involving large sums of money, combined with the greed of those involved in the deals, give rise to corruption,” Liz Ellen, head of sports at law firm Mishcon de Reya, told The Associated Press.There is one quick fix.”There should be a separation of powers,” Ellen said. “Managers and players should not have the same agents as this creates conflicts of interests and appearances of bias or conflict which are difficult to overcome.”The League Managers Association said it is taking the allegations of bribery “very seriously as they are obviously damaging to the game.”damaged imageThere’s more damage to come, with the Telegraph promising further revelations about LMA members.The first video was published on Monday, showing Allardyce appearing to offer advice to fictitious businessmen on how to sidestep an outlawed player transfer practise and also to negotiate a 400,000-pound public-speaking contract to top up an annual England salary of 3 million pounds.A further recording showed Allardyce mocking predecessor Roy Hodgson, who was fired after England’s humiliating loss to tiny Iceland at the European Championship in June, questioning the FA’s financial strategy, and talking dismissively about the organisation’s president, Prince William.”On reflection it was a silly thing to do,” Allardyce said outside his home near the northern English city of Manchester on Wednesday. “Unfortunately, it was an error of judgement on my behalf and I’ve paid the consequences.”Allardyce was heading for the airport to escape England and to reflect on becoming the shortest-serving manager of the team.The FA and England’s leagues responded, saying in a joint statement that the allegations from the newspaper stings “will be investigated with the full force of the rules at our disposal.””Should we find any evidence of criminality,” the statement said, “we would inform and seek the support of the appropriate statutory authorities.”
Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? MOST READ Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award All the potential intricacies, though, are far from UP head coach Bo Perasol’s mind with the Fighting Maroons more concerned with just simply winning the game that’s next on their schedule.“In fact we’re not thinking and we’re not talking about the standings,” said Perasol in Filipino at Mall of Asia Arena. “It will give us undue pressure so we just talk about enjoying the game and making sure we’ll have a chance.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogAnd UP’s path to its fifth win involved erasing a 10-point deficit, 49-39, midway through the fourth quarter against the Tamaraws.Jun Manzo capped off the Fighting Maroons’ 17-4 run with a floater that gave UP a 56-53 lead with 38 seconds left in the game. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netWhen University of the Philippines snatched a victory over Far Eastern University on Saturday, the Fighting Maroons also boosted their chances of barging into the Final Four.The Fighting Maroons tied the Tamaraws for the fourth spot with a 5-6 record, a major morale booster heading into the last four games of the UAAP Season 80 men’s basketball tournament.ADVERTISEMENT And although Jasper Parker tied the game with 32.9 seconds remaining, Paul Desiderio delivered another clutch triple with 1.1 seconds left that eventually gave UP the victory.“This was a morale-boosting win for us, these struggles are the things we need to experience for us to grow,” said Perasol. “The most important thing is that we have a a goal in mind and that is to uplift our program.” GlobalPort ships Robbie Herndon to Star in 3-on-1 swap LATEST STORIES Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours
LATEST STORIES Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio names Winners in the two Game 3s Friday will vie for the championship which will also be a best-of-three affair.In forcing Game 3, the Cool Smashers needed a combined 33 points from their superstars Alyssa Valdez and Michelle Gumabao, lifting some of the burden from Kuttika Kaewpin and Laura Schaudt.“Everybody wanted to win, and worked hard to achieve it,” said Valdez. “We actually talked about our Game 1 loss and we made the adjustments. We showed that in Game 2 and we hope to sustain it in the do-or-die.”The Lady Warriors, on the other hand, were led by star Myla Pablo.ADVERTISEMENT Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil View comments ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ SEA swimming tourney blasts off Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next “I told the locals to do their job and not just rely on the imports,” said Gorayeb, “I told Grethcel and the others that if she can’t attack and receive, the others will take care of offense.”Soltones responded in a big way, dumping 22 points, including four in the fifth set, to power the High Flyers over the Perlas Spikers in Game 2 and extend the best-of-three series to the distance.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’Perlas coach Dong dela Cruz also lamented the lack of output from his locals as Kia Bright and Jutarat Montripila took the scoring chores, combining for 58 points.The same thing holds in the other semis duel between Creamline and Pocari Sweat-Air Force. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netPaymaya coach Roger Gorayeb also knows what three other coaches in the Premier Volleyball League Reinforced Conference semifinals are planning on doing: Get the locals involved.The veteran mentor said the key to success in their Game 3 match-up with BanKo Perlas would be the support their homegrown talents would give their reliable imports.ADVERTISEMENT Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Northern Metalic Flyers have put in a great regular season, and this weekend they’ll be playing in their final two games before the playoffs. Saturday they’ll be in Grande Prairie and Sunday they’ll be back in Fort St. John to host Peace River.Despite an outstanding regular season where the team has a record of 23-2-3, the Flyers will be looking to get some momentum back in their favour as they have just one win in their last four games (1-1-2).Sunday’s home game against Peace River gets underway at 11:45 a.m.- Advertisement –
West Covina Parks and Recreation offers Kung Fu San Su, a highly sophisticated martial arts form designed to improve balance, coordination, flexibility and reaction. Two sessions are scheduled: 6:30-8 p.m., Tuesdays from March 6-27, and Tuesdays and Thursdays from March 6-29 at the Palm View Community Center, 1340 E. Puente Ave. The cost is $41 for the Tuesday class and $56 for the two-day program. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! For information call (626) 919-6966.
A judge has ordered a probation report into a young Co Donegal woman who went on a shoplifting spree over a three year period.Theresa Stokes has pleaded guity to stealing goods from a number of premises across Ireland including LIDL, Boots, Heatons, TK Maxx, TEMPEST in Donegal as well as a number of locally-owned shops in Waterford.Letterkenny District Court heard how the 23 year old mother-of-two stole bed linen, shoes, groceries and clothing during the shoplifting spree. On one occasion she even had her hair done at a Letterkenny hairdressing salon and left her purse in there, claiming she was going outside to get her laser card from her car.However when she went outside the premsises she fled and the owner of the premises found there was nothing in the purse.On another occasion she was caught stealing more than €500 worth of make-up products from Boots Chemist in Letterkenny.Solicitor Patsy Gallagher said Stokes of 7 Gaeltex, Letterkenny had been brought up from an early age to steal goods.“It was a lifestyle to her. She was under the influence of others. Most of us start of life at a certain rung of the ladder but she started at the very bottom rung of that ladder,” he said.However he said she had been through a lot, had been married at an early age but the marriage had broken up.But Judge Paul Kelly said he did not accept any excuses.“She is a premeditated, calculated, systematic thief. There was a string of warrants but she appeared to go on happily continuing her thefts,” said Judge Kelly.He adjourned the case until September for a probation report but warned Stokes not to come before the courts before then or she could face a ‘severe punishment’.EndsDONEGAL WOMAN WENT ON THREE YEAR SHOPLIFTING SPREE was last modified: June 28th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:shopliftingTheresa Stokes
TERMON Ladies star Geraldine McLaughlin produced a superb performance to help the Co Donegal side into the Ulster Ladies senior semi-final.The county star scored an incredible SIX goals in her side’s 7-10 to 2-08 victory over Cavan champions Lacken.McLaughlin’s personal tally ended on 6-04. The Donegal champions victory – on away soil against a Cavan side containing some of their intermediate All-Ireland winners – was remarkable.RESULTS:Carrickcrupen 3-15 Newtownbulter 0-8Carrickmore 2-5 Donaghmoyne 6-14Lacken 2-10 Termon 7-10St. Paul’s 5-11 Castlwellan 4-6 LADIES FOOTBALL: McLAUGHLIN HAS SIX APPEAL AS TERMON STORM INTO ULSTER SEMI-FINAL was last modified: October 7th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Termon ladies GAA