– Associated Press Gehry is sued over Tiffany line World-renowned architect Frank Gehry is being sued over a line of jewelry he designed for Tiffany & Co. that incorporates his trademark fish shapes and free-form aesthetics. Circa Publishing Enterprises LLC of Culver City contends that it had a deal with Gehry for the exclusive rights to produce, distribute and sell Gehry-trademarked jewelry and gift items. The suit involves the Frank Gehry Collection, unveiled last year. Most of the jewelry, including earrings, rings and other items, range in price from a few hundred to thousands of dollars. Gehry was out of the office and not immediately available for comment Tuesday, according to an e-mail from his representatives. – Associated Press160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Talk about bad timing. Paula Abdul broke her nose this weekend – just days before the season finale of “American Idol” – when she fell while trying to avoid stepping on her Chihuahua. Abdul was recovering from the mishap and appeared on Tuesday night’s show. She plans on being on tonight’s show, her publicist, David Brokaw, said Monday. (Two “Idol” contestants remain – Blake Lewis and Jordin Sparks.) “She’s a little sore, but is doing fine,” Brokaw said. Abdul, 44, told syndicated entertainment TV show “Extra” that she tore cartilage in her nose and fractured a toe. “I took a nasty fall … trying not to hurt my dog. I bruised myself on my arm … my chest, my waist all the way down to my hip. All from my little chubby Tulip,” she said. The dog wasn’t hurt, Brokaw said. This wasn’t Abdul’s first injury while judging the competition on the hit Fox network show. She wore a sling in 2004 after surgery on her thumb, which was infected by a flesh-killing fungus after an unsanitary manicure at a Los Angeles nail salon. (She testified in California a year later, urging tougher safety standards for salons.) “Being a professional dancer, I’m no stranger to pain, but this time the pain was so excruciating that even my hair touching my thumb caused me to scream,” Abdul has said of the yearlong ordeal.
– Advertisement – Fire fighters say the candle was either knocked over by wind or the blinds and fell onto the bed.The department is reminding the public to never leave a lit candle unattended, especially near pets or curtains/blinds, as they both can cause it to be easily knocked over.
0Shares0000Nigeria fans cheer during the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying football match between Nigeria and Cameroon at Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo, Nigeria, on September 1, 2017 © AFP/File / PIUS UTOMI EKPEIABUJA, Nigeria, Oct 4 – Nigeria host Zambia in their penultimate 2018 World Cup qualifier on Saturday knowing that victory would secure a sixth finals appearance since first qualifying in 1994.The 2-1 win in the reverse fixture in Ndola 12 months ago helped get the country behind a team who had failed to feature at back-to-back Africa Cup of Nations. It set the tone for the Super Eagles’ excellent campaign in a tough Group B, with Nigeria not dropping points until matchday four in Yaounde.The 1-1 draw in Cameroon, combined with Zambia winning in Algeria last month, have meant the Chipolopolo are now the only team between Nigeria and next year’s tournament in Russia.Head coach Gernot Rohr will take much of the credit for the progress the team has made since he took charge in July 2016.The German is now only 90 minutes away from his biggest accomplishment of a career that has taken him to French club Bordeaux, Etoile du Sahel of Tunisia as well as the national teams of Niger, Burkina Faso and Gabon.He said: “It will be an interesting but difficult game against Zambia, who we beat 2-1 in Ndola (last year), but they have changed (since).“It’s an important game and we have it in our hands to win. If we have our players fit, we will be at the World Cup.“I hope we repeat what we did against Cameroon (4-0 win in Uyo).”The backroom staff have praised Rohr for bringing self-belief to the side, both on and off the pitch, halfway through his two-year contract.“He has done well, bringing the German mentality and organisation to bear on the whole team,” saluted former Nigeria striker Benedict Akwuegbu.“The Eagles now play together, are tactically disciplined and they work very hard for each other.“And he has played his best team always.”“Rohr has got the team to deliver,” added sports journalist Arafat Aliu.“He understands some of the politics in Nigeria and this has helped him in his team selection.”On the pitch, skipper John Obi Mikel has led by example, Chelsea star Victor Moses has risen to the occasion and Leon Balogun has been nicknamed by an appreciative Rohr as ‘our German machine’.Several young players, like Leicester City pair Kelechi Iheanacho and Wilfred Ndidi and Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi, have stepped up to the full international game after gaining first-team experience in the English Premier League.Winger Moses’ class has never been in doubt, but many previously questioned his commitment to the national cause, with some suggestions that he picked which matches to play.But he is the Eagles’ leading scorer on the road to Russia with three goals ahead of Mikel and Iheanacho, who have netted two each.The confidence in the team once derided as “Super Chickens” has now gone beyond qualification, with some predicting Nigeria will surpass their previous best World Cup effort of reaching the last 16 in 1994 and 2014.“In Brazil (2014), the Super Eagles were poor,” remarked Dutch coach Jo Bonfrere, who led Nigeria to a historic Olympic title in Atlanta 21 years ago.“Now there is organisation in the team because the coach has put a good Super Eagles team together.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Coach Didier Deschamps was part of a France side that — needing just a point at home to qualify for the 1994 World Cup — was stunned by Emil Kostadinov’s 90th-minute winner that sent Bulgaria to the finals at Les Bleus’ expense.Deschamps’s current crop of players require victories in Sofia this weekend and at home to Belarus on October 10 to guarantee their place at next year’s World Cup in Russia.But the Euro 2016 runners-up have little margin for error following an embarrassing 0-0 draw against minnows Luxembourg in Toulouse in their most recent outing.“It’s a really important match, we have to go to Russia. It’s more than a goal, it’s a fact,” said Paris Saint-Germain striker Mbappe, who wasn’t born until five years after the Bulgaria fiasco.“No that means nothing to me. I don’t know,” the 18-year-old grinned when asked if the name Kostadinov was of any significance to him.“Mentally we’re getting ourselves ready to go to war,” he added. “Along with that of PSG against Bayern, it’s the most important match. It’s even more important because it’s an entire country, so yes it’s the most important match since the start of the season.”But Mbappe, who scored his first international goal in August’s 4-0 demolition of the Netherlands, insisted he was merely a part of the puzzle for a French squad brimming with youthful talent.“(I’m) not a saviour because there will be 11 of us on the pitch. That people expect more of me is normal. When you have good players, it’s normal that to expect us to make the difference.“We have a quality group with lots of players. There’s no one player who makes the difference. The pressure is something I love. It gets me going, it’s a source of huge pride to be able to rise to tougher and tougher challenges.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000France’s Kylian Mbappe speaks during a press conference in Clairefontaine-en-Yvelines on October 5, 2017, as part of the team’s preparation for the FIFA World Cup 2018 qualifying football match against Bulgaria and Belarus © AFP / FRANCK FIFEPARIS, France, Oct 5 – Teenage sensation Kylian Mbappe warned he is “not a saviour” ahead of France’s crucial trip to Bulgaria in their penultimate 2018 World Cup qualifier on Saturday.The 1998 world champions lead Sweden by one point in Group A with two matches to play, but France need little reminding of the pain inflicted upon them by the Bulgarians in one of the national team’s darkest hours.
Burger King to hold Whopper Drive as part of Mr. Mikes challenge to support Women’s Resource Society
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – As part of a campaign to help raise funds to support the Fort St. John Women’s Resource Society, Mr. Mikes of Fort St. John recently raised over $2,000 to help stock the Society’s shelves.Since raising over $2,000 for the Women’s Resource Society, Mr. Mikes is now challenging other local restaurants to do the same and take part in the challenge.One restaurant to accept the challenge is Burger King, where they will be holding a Whopper Drive in support of the Society to raise a goal of $2,000.- Advertisement -For every Whopper Combo sold on Whopper Wednesday, the FSJ Burger King will donate funds towards the Society.The Women’s Resource Society Whopper Drive is taking place Wednesday, August 14, at the Burger King in Fort St. John.For more information, you can visit Fort St. John Burger King’s Facebook page.Advertisement
Michael Owen believes Arsenal will miss out on a top four spot next season – despite signing Alexis Sanchez.The Gunners finished fourth last term, seven points behind winners Manchester City, and are expected to launch a title challenge this season.Arsene Wenger has taken the Barcelona man to the Emirates, and is expected to tie up a deal with Newcastle defender Mathieu Debuchy in the coming days.But they are set to miss out on a Champions League qualification place next season, according to ex-Liverpool and Man United striker Owen.“I have been really impressed with Arsenal’s signing of Sanchez,” he told talkSPORT. “They have been missing a bit of quality but [they’ll miss out].“The signing of Sanchez has made everyone sit up and take note. I really do rate him, he’s a top player and it’s a big step in the right direction.“But, in no particular order, my top four for next season would be Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Liverpool.“Arsenal haven’t had any real stand out players in the last few years, like Thierry Henry. They have just lagged a step behind.”
1 Transfer rumours and paper review Sunday, August 24 Here’s the top transfer-related stories in Sunday’s newspapers…Manchester City have dropped their interest in Everton midfielder Ross Barkley, 20, after being told he will cost a minimum of £50m. (Sunday Mirror) Manchester United are close to signing Real Madrid winger Angel Di Maria, 26, for a British-record transfer fee that could be worth up to £56m. (Sky Sports) United have made a second bid for Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal, 27, which also includes an unnamed player going the other way. (Daily Star Sunday) Mario Balotelli, 24, could become a Liverpool player in a £16m deal on Monday – but the Reds have ended their interest in former Chelsea striker Samuel Eto’o, 33. (Liverpool Echo) Eto’o is thought to have demanded £100,000 a week to join Liverpool but is now understood to be in talks with Everton, although the Toffees could face competition for his services from the Middle East. (Sunday Mirror) Balotelli will not sign a special code of conduct clause at Anfield. The striker’s representative Mino Raiola claims the contract will be no different to any other future Liverpool deals and says Balotelli’s move should be finalised before Tuesday. (Sunday Express) Arsenal are considering Atletico Madrid’s Toby Alderweireld, 25, as replacement for Thomas Vermaelen, who was recently sold to Barcelona. (Daily Star Sunday) The Gunners are also tracking Olympiakos defender Kostas Manolas, 23, who featured for Greece at this summer’s World Cup and is also interesting Manchester United. (Sunday Express) Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech, 33, is set to leave the club after losing his place to Thibaut Courtois. (Mail on Sunday) Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini wants England international James Milner to sign a new deal but the 28-year-old winger will make City wait. (Sun on Sunday)And here’s the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Exclusive – Balotelli will give Liverpool ‘completely new dimension’, says former Reds aceExclusive – Redknapp reveals remarkable Balotelli taleExclusive – Former Liverpool star admits fears over Balotelli dealTransfer Insider: Liverpool plan second striker swoop and Madrid star to reject Man United moveExclusive: Federico Fazio ‘practically a Tottenham player’Ex-Manchester United midfielder set to snub Premier League duoArsenal transfer boost: Blanc admits PSG starlet could leaveSwansea face fresh competition in fight for FrenchmanReal Madrid plot shock loan move for Man United defenderWest Ham target set for Swansea switchWest Ham and Sunderland target keen on moveNapoli to land West Ham target
After Tottenham’s Erik Lamela scored an amazing ‘rabona’ goal against Asteras Tripolis in the Europa League last night, talkSPORT explains why this football trick is so named.What is a ‘rabona’?The move is effectively kicking the ball with your legs crossed, with the kicking leg wrapped around the standing one.It might be used when a player is not confident at crossing with his weaker foot, to confuse a defender, or quite simply to show off one’s ability.Where did the ‘rabona’ originate from?The ‘rabona’ was popularised by Italian Giovanni Roccotelli in the 1970s, but its origins reportedly date back to 1948 and a match between Argentinean teams Estudiantes de la Plata and Rosario Central.Estudiantes player Ricardo Infante scored from 35 yards using the move and an Argentine football magazine El Grafico came up with the term ‘rabona’ for it.The expression comes from ‘hacerse le rabona’, which in Argentina means to skip school without your parent’s permission.El Grafico produced a front cover with the headline ‘El infante que se hizo la rabona’ (the child plays hooky), in reference to Infante ‘skipping’ the use of his weaker foot with the move.On the 50th anniversary of the goal in 1998, Infante said the move didn’t get the recognition it deserved due to the lack of television and media coverage at the time, thus Roccotelli was credited with its invention in 1978 when he used it to set up his Ascoli team-mate Giacomo Tafuro against Modena.No matter who truly is the inventor, the ‘rabona’ is now common within the modern game, popularised by the likes of Paul Gascoigne to Cristiano Ronaldo and Eden Hazard, and it’s now a feature in school playgrounds and parks across the world.See the video below for the top ten ‘rabona’ goals of all time:Football fans, is Erik Lamela’s goal one of the best of all-time? Comment below… talkSPORT looks at the origins of the ‘rabona’ goal 1
Here’s the top transfer-related stories in Tuesday’s newspapers…Manchester United are planning to lure Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos to Old Trafford next summer. Louis van Gaal is looking to strengthen his defensive options and Ramos is his top target, with United ready to offer the Spain star £105,000-a-week after tax to secure his signature. (Daily Star)Liverpool are ahead of Tottenham in the race to sign Saido Berahino. West Brom value the striker at £25million but the Reds are hopeful of negotiating a lower fee. (Daily Mail)Atletico Madrid are willing to sell Brazilian defender Joao Miranda in January – and that has put Manchester City on red alert. (Daily Mirror)Harry Redknapp has sealed a deal to take West Ham forward Mauro Zarate to Queens Park Rangers on loan until the end of the season. (Daily Mirror)Arsenal striker Yaya Sanogo is set to move to French outfit Bordeaux on loan for the rest of the season. (Daily Star)Edinson Cavani has not been included in Paris Saint-Germain’s winter training camp in Marrakech, boosting Arsenal’s hopes of concluding a January deal. (Daily Express)Newcastle’s French international midfielder Moussa Sissoko will turn down a move to Arsenal and stay at St James’ Park. (The Sun)And here’s the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Alan Irvine sacked as West Brom bossCrystal Palace given permission to talk to Newcastle boss PardewSunderland interested in former West Ham strikerBurnley target labelled ‘unsellable’Striker’s Liverpool nightmare to end? Sampdoria president reveals his dream signingMan United and Southampton face fight for Dutch starTottenham face defeat in wonderkid chase as Roma swoopLiverpool lining up cut-price deal for Lavezzi? Reds linked with £8m move for PSG forwardArsenal transfer blow: Pedro will NOT quit Barcelona for Gunners
1 Manchester United welcome Cambridge United to Old Trafford this evening and Louis van Gaal will be keen for his side to progress to the next round of the FA Cup, at the second time of asking.With Chelsea, Manchester City, Tottenham and Southampton having already crashed out of the tournament, Van Gaal should see the FA Cup as the ideal opportunity to land his first piece of silverware in English football.The Dutchman could ring the changes for the game, but he will also be wary of the League Two opponents, especially given United’s humiliating Capital One Cup exit to MK Dons earlier this season.Preston North End or Sheffield United await the winners of the tie, but will Juan Mata return to the starting XI and can Adnan Januzaj continue to repay his managers’ faith? talkSPORT takes a look…Possible Man United line-up against Cambridge? 1 Manchester United welcome Cambridge United to Old Trafford this evening and Louis van Gaal will be keen for his side to progress to the next round of the FA Cup, at the second time of asking. GoalkeeperVictor Valdes was lauded for his pre-game team talk prior to his Manchester United U21 side debut a week ago, and this fixture appears ideal for the experienced Spaniard to make his senior bow.DefendersVan Gaal opted to play the 4-4-2 diamond against Leicester on the weekend, and United benefited at both ends of the pitch.It is expected that the Dutchman will make a couple changes at the back, with Chris Smalling and Rafael in line for a recall after a spell on the sidelines.MidfieldWith Michael Carrick out injured, Daley Blind certainly seems to be first choice in defensive midfield. However, van Gaal could give Marouane Fellaini and Ander Herrera the chance to stake their claim for a regular first-team slot – both of whom haven’t played too many games in recent weeks.Adnan Januzaj impressed against Leicester with an energetic and confident display and the Belgian should be given the opportunity to continue his run in the team.AttackingThe United boss certainly has a host of options up front, especially after under-fire strikers Robin van Persie and Radamel Falcao bagged a goal apiece on the weekend.Falcao’s movement, in particular, was impressive and the Colombian, who has been under pressure in recent weeks, could retain his place.Van Gaal could also use the fixture to recall Spaniard Mata to the first XI, while James Wilson is in line for a start and the Englishman has impressed in cameo appearances this season – including a goal away to QPR last month.Man United fans, how do you think you’ll line-up against Cambridge? Comment below…