Historic rate cut coming: Experts

first_img Where first home buyers have the upper hand The RBA is under pressure after the latest figures saw inflation flatline.Finder insights manager Graham Cooke said latest 0 per cent inflation results could “have far-reaching implications for our economy” and be a “huge worry” for the RBA whose inflation target was between 2 per cent and 3 per cent.“A quick rate cut would be the textbook way to stimulate the economy — but the general trend here suggests they will wait until after the election, and pass on a cut in June,” he said.“Irrespective of May’s decision, the majority of experts (84 per cent) expect at least one cut by August and many expect another cut after that — meaning a cash rate of 1 per cent is in sight.”Mr Cooke said there had been a “dramatic shift” in expert opinion from 90 per cent last year believing there would be a cash rate hike come the end of 2019 to just 8 per cent expecting that now. Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:58Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:58 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD432p432p216p216p180p180pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenHow much do I need to retire?00:58 The latest Finder RBA Cash Rate Survey for May 2019 has seen a major shift in expert opinion compared to predictions made last year.The Federal Election was the only thing standing in the way of a rate cut come Tuesday, according to IFM Investors chief economist Alex Joiner.“This is the first ‘live’ meeting for the RBA for some time. However, the timing of the Federal election does give rise to the prospect of (a cut) being politicised, which may be awkward for the (Reserve) Bank”.This as fears over flat inflation and a weak housing market muddy the waters for the RBA board, which would hit a record 30 meetings in a row of not moving on rates come Tuesday.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus13 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market13 hours ago Positive economic sentiment May 2018 — May 2019. Source: Finder RBA Cash Rate Survey.“If we don’t get a cut on Tuesday, it’s incredibly likely we will see one within the next three months. If the banks follow suit, this could be great news for borrowers because it means the cost of borrowing will become cheaper.”He said homeowners should be looking for rates with a “3” in front of it.Housing affordability was among the key issues floating this election, with Finder’s Economic Sentiment Tracker seeing positive sentiment on that drop to its lowest level since August 2018 (39 per cent). MORE REAL ESTATE NEWScenter_img Inside our Pollies’ property portfolios Investor surged tipped if Labor wins election FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER ON FACEBOOK The tide has turned for rates, with the majority of experts predicting a cut within the next three months and another to come before year end.Homeowners are set to be big winners, with a historic rate cut now on the cards, according to experts.The odds have shortened dramatically for the first time in three years, with the latest Finder RBA Cash Rate survey finding one in four experts expect a rate cut as soon as tomorrow, while the vast majority (84 per cent) believe this will happen within three months. A 25 basis point cut would make the cash rate target 1.25 per cent, a historic low for Australia, with the last move having been in August 2016 to 1.5 per cent. But that low could go even further, according to the survey, with three-quarters of experts (73 per cent) predicting an unprecedented 1 per cent cash rate come year end.last_img read more

Total’s profit falls even with production up

first_imgAccording to the company, oil prices remain volatile at the start of the third quarter, in a context of ongoing high inventory levels. In this uncertain environment, the group’s strong financial performance confirms the success of its strategy to reduce its breakeven point and grow its cash flow, the company said.The company also said that, in the Upstream, annual production growth should be more than 4% in 2017, supported by the start-up in mid- July of operations on the A1-Shaheen field in Qatar and the continued ramp-up of new projects, notably Kashagan in Kazahkstan and Moho Nord in Congo. Production from Moho Nord started in March 2016.Start-ups of new projects will continue in the second half, mainly with Libra Pioneiro in Brazil and Edrad0ur-Glenlivet in the United Kingdom.Total emphasized it is continuing to relentlessly pursue its efforts to reduce the cash breakeven. The good results of the cost reduction program allow it confirm its announced objective of 3.5 B$ for 2017, and the decrease of production costs to 5.5 $/boe in 2017 and then to 5 $/boe in 2018. Organic investments for the year should be between 14 and 15 B$, which allows the Group to sustain its growth.Offshore Energy Today Staff Oil prices remain volatile French oil major Total posted lower profit for the second quarter of the year despite increase in production and revenues as it looks to further cut costs. The company recorded a net income for the second quarter 2017 of $2.03 billion, a decrease when compared to the second quarter of 2016 and net income of $2.12 billion.On the other hand, the company’s revenues for the second quarter of this year increased to $39.9 billion from $37.2 billion in the corresponding period of 2016.Hydrocarbon production in the second quarter 2017 was 2,500 thousand barrels of oil equivalent per day (kboe/d), an increase of 3% compared to the second quarter 2016, due to project ramp ups, notably Kashagan, Moho Nord, Incahuasi, Surmont and Angola LNG, acquisition of an additional 75% interest in the Bamett shale in the United States and asset sales in Russia and Norway, improved security conditions in Libya and Nigeria, offset by natural field decline, the PSC price effect and OPEC quotas.Total achieved a 9 percent increase year-over-year in average crude oil price.The exploration & production segment’s adjusted net operating income was $1.359 billion in the second quarter 2017, an increase of 30% compared to the second quarter 2016, notably due to production growth, cost reduction, and the increase in oil and gas prices.Adjusted net operating income for the gas, renewables & power segment increased to $95 million in the second quarter 2017, notably due to the contribution of gas activities.Total CEO Patrick Pouyanné commented: “In a price environment that remains volatile, Total again delivered an excellent set of quarterly results with adjusted net income of $2.5 billion, a 14% increase compared to a year ago, and operating cash flow before working capital changes of $5.3 billion, a 33% increase, while Brent only increased by 9%.”Pouyanné continued: “In the Exploration & Production segment, second quarter 2017 operating cash flow before working capital changes increased by almost 50% compared to the same quarter last year, benefiting from production growth of more than 3%, driven by start-ups and ramp-ups of new cash-accretive projects, as well as the cost reduction program, which continues to be implemented with determination.”last_img read more

No new meningococcemia case in Antique – IPHO

first_imgThe Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO) says no new case of meningococcemia has so far been reported after the death of a three-year-old boy suspected to have acquired the disease while on vacation in Barangay Buhang, Hamtic, Antique. ABS-CBN NEWS The boy, who was on vacation with hismother in Barangay Buhang, Hamtic town, was rushed to the Angel SalazarMemorial General Hospital here on Jan. 13 due to fever, convulsion andvomiting.  SAN JOSE, Antique – The IntegratedProvincial Health Office (IPHO) here said no new case of meningococcemia has sofar been reported after the death of a three-year-old boy suspected to haveacquired the disease.  “Aside from our surveillance, we alsourged people in the barangay or those who had contact with the boy to reportimmediately to the health team if they developed fever or any signs andsymptoms of meningococcemia and so far, there had been none,” he added. He added they have yet to confirm thecause of the boy’s death based on the results of the blood sample submitted forlaboratory examination to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine.     IPHO chief Dr. Ric Noel Naciongayo onMonday said their medical team is visiting daily the village where the boy wentfor a vacation to check for possible signs of the disease on the people who hadcontact with the victim. None of them had been reported to show signs of thedisease.    The IPHO team administered prophylaxisRifampicin and Ciprofloxacin to around 70 villagers and to those who hadcontact with the boy including the medical team. “Even if there is no more suspectedmeningococcemia case, the IPHO will continue its surveillance to ensure that nosimilar disease will occur,” Naciongayo said. He passed away on the same day and hisbody was immediately buried at the Egaña Municipal Cemetery in Sibalom townupon the advice of the medical team to ensure no one would be exposed to thedisease.(With a report from PNA/PN)last_img read more

June 17, 2017 Police Blotter

first_imgJune 17, 2017 Police Blotter061717 Batesville Police Blotter061717 Decatur County EMS Report061717 Decatur County Fire Report061717 Decatur County Jail Report061717 Decatur County Law Reportlast_img

‘Franklin County Chamber of Commerce Day’ at the 4-H Fair today

first_imgBrookville, In. — It is Franklin County Chamber of Commerce Day today at the 2018 4-H Fair.Here is a schedule of events:9:00 AM 4-H Dairy Cattle Show10:30 AM 4-H Dairy Goat Show4:00 – 9 :00 PM Red Barn Exhibits Open4:00 – 9:00 PM 4-H Exhibits Open5:00 – 6:30 PM Kiddie Pedal Pull Registration6:00 – 10:00 PM Commercial Exhibits Open6:00 – 10:00 PM Armband Night for Carnival Rides6:30 PM Baby Show7:00 PM 4-H Showman of Showmen Contest7:00 PM Kiddie Pedal Pull7:00 PM Truck & Tractor PullClick here to register for the 2018 Franklin County Chamber of Commerce Golf Outing.last_img read more

Chile to quarantine Alexis Sanchez, Vidal

first_imgRelatedPosts Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 Vidal lands in Milan to complete move from Barca to Inter Chilean soccer stars Alexis Sanchez and Arturo Vidal will be quarantined when they return to their home country from Europe to play in a World Cup qualifier this month, Chile’s health minister said on Tuesday. The players – who are signed to European clubs – are due to fly first to Uruguay for a World Cup qualifier on March 26 and then to Chile to face Colombia. Italy announced a quarantine and advised against all but non-essential travel until April 3 after its death toll from coronavirus jumped by 168 to 631 this week. “We do not make any distinction by people’s profession because nobody is immune to this virus and indeed the quarantine determined today for Italy applies to everyone,” said Health Minister Jaime Mañalich, according to local news website Emol. “Of course, if these players want to work out on a machine in their homes, or all be quarantined together at Juan Pinto Duran (the national football stadium), then that’s their call.” A source at the Football Federation of Chile told Emol it had been told nothing about quarantine plans for the players. “So far there are no changes to our plans,” a source said. “What the minister says comes as a surprise.” Spain has suspended flights from Italy and also advised against all non-essential travel. It has so far reported 36 deaths and 1,639 confirmed cases. Italy has at least 10,149. Sánchez plays for Inter Milan and Vidal plays for FC Barcelona. Another Chilean player likely to be impacted is Gary Medel, who plays for the Italian club Bologna. Sanchez’s team has been playing Serie A matches in empty stadiums after the Italian government banned large gatherings last week. At around the same time, there was a flurry of claims on social media that Sanchez himself may have contracted the coronavirus – reports later explained by a poor translation of a story about Sanchez’s team being impacted by the games ban. Chile is tracking people returning from countries affected by coronavirus in a bid to contain its spread. So far, 17 cases have been confirmed in the South American country.Tags: Alexis SanchezArturo VidalCoronavirusWorld Cuplast_img read more

Schmidt pleased with performance

first_img “It is very hard to say at first glance,” Schmidt said. “You are more team orientated in your analysis of a game during the match so to really get that individual flavour of delivery, we’ll have to wait until we’ve had a bit of a look at it. “But there were some guys that did some very good things.” Ulster flanker Robbie Diack made his debut in the back row and the Connacht pair Kieran Marmion and Rodney Ah You made their international bows off the bench. Schmidt is now turning his attention to the second Test in Tucuman on Saturday evening when the Six Nations champions will bring the curtain down on their season. “I think both teams have real room for improvement, some of their young guys really impressed me,” he said. “There were a few of them who were very gutsy. I felt they made things very difficult for us. “I think we can look forward to a pretty interesting battle at Tucuman in seven days. “I thought they really got off the line well and put a lot of pressure on us when we had the ball, and we found it pretty difficult to contain them when they carried it well. “It was a Test match.” Ireland coach Joe Schmidt was pleased with the way his men fashioned their first-ever win in Argentina but believes they will need to step up for the second and concluding Test next weekend. Press Associationcenter_img Schmidt’s men were well worth their 29-17 win in Resistencia when tries from Chris Henry, Jonathan Sexton and Andrew Trimble saw them home. Schmidt and his men will analyse the individual performances this week but he was pleased with the effort overall. last_img read more

I tried to kill myself, says former world champion Hatton

first_img(REUTERS) Former world boxing champion Ricky Hatton tried to kill himself when he suffered from depression after quitting the ring, the Briton said on Thursday.Hatton, who won titles at light-welterweight and welterweight, retired in 2012 but had already been struggling with depression, drink and drugs.“I tried to kill myself several times,” the 38-year-old told BBC radio. “I used to go to the pub, come back, take the knife out and sit there in the dark crying hysterically.“In the end I thought I’ll end up drinking myself to death because I was so miserable.”Hatton, who registered 45 wins in 48 bouts, said that even if he did not always drink he still could not cope with depression and that led to cocaine use.“I was coming off the rails with my drinking and that led to drugs. It was like a runaway train,” he explained.Hatton, who now works as a trainer and agent, said fighters needed a support system like footballers, especially after retirement when many found life tough outside sport.He added that the poverty from which most boxers emerge does not prepare them for life after boxing.“The thing is with boxers … we come from council estates so it’s very, very hard,” said Hatton.“It’s an individual sport so you get in the ring on your own and then when you retire you tend to spend the rest of your life on your own.”Hatton’s best performance came in 2005 when he stopped Australian Kostya Tszyu to add the IBF light-welterweight title to the WBU belt he already held.He had a perfect 43-0 record until he was floored by Floyd Mayweather Jr in Las Vegas in 2007 and was never the same again.last_img read more

Gough suggests England rotate Archer and Wood

first_imgLONDON (Reuters) – England should not be overly reliant on express pace in the next two Tests against West Indies and must consider alternating Jofra Archer and Mark Wood, former quick Darren Gough has said.England opted for the express speed of Archer and Wood and the experience of James Anderson in Southampton but lost by four wickets in the series opener.“I’ve said from the start — rotate Archer and Wood,” Gough, who played 58 Tests between 1994-2003, told Sky Sport Cricket.“We got a bit carried away, seeing Wood bowl really quickly in South Africa. We’ve seen Archer do it, but it’s very hard to do it every single game.” Gough said England should also bring back Stuart Broad and Chris Woakes for the second Test, which begins on Thursday at Manchester’s Old Trafford.“I would rest Wood and Anderson at Old Trafford and bring in Broad and Woakes,” Gough said.“That would be my plan then, with back-to-back Test matches, you bring Anderson and Wood back (for the third Test).”Former captain Michael Vaughan said it would be unfair to criticise Archer, who claimed three second-innings wickets in Southampton, for not bowling consistently in excess of 90 miles per hour. “The body just doesn’t allow you to do it every single over that you bowl,” Vaughan told BBC Radio 5.“But when you get that click, that six or seven overs where everything is in sync and you see the ball flying down at 90mph-plus causing chaos, that’s why you put Jofra Archer in your team.”last_img read more

Europa League results

first_imgEverton recorded a fine win in the Europa League last night.They started their group stage campaign with a 4-1 victory over German team Wolfsburg.Tottenham earned a good point in Serbia in finishing 0-0 with Partizan Belgrade, and it was the same for Celtic, who drew 2-2 in Austria against Salzburg.last_img